Nov 27, 2008

Thankful for Nastalgia and the fact that without it, life would probably not be any fun...

I realized this morning as I got up early to watch the west coast broadcast of the Thanksgiving Parade down the streets of Chicago that I am incredibly thankful for nostalgia. The parade featured the cast of a musical based on Springsteen songs, a Garfield balloon, a Grover Balloon, and most notably, the world's greatest fairy tail Santa himself.

Then I turned on some videogames and played new versions of Street Fighter 2 and Mega Man, and it dawned on me. I've been doing just this for nearly twenty years (meaning playing those to games). Then I looked at my coffee table and realized I had both a Spiderman and X-Men comic book out.

I'm trying to become a doctor, a field where nostalgia doesn't fit and everything is new. My brain feels like a brick sometimes, filled to the brim with Hootie and the Blowfish lyrics and the Pete and Pete theme song. If I could lose some of those worthless little bits so I could fit in Organic Chemistry, I'd be much better off. Then I realized this morning that, where would all my fun go. If I didn't have nostalgic fun, I don't think I'd enjoy much. I only enjoy watching football because of having watched games in years past. I only enjoy comics since I've been reading them forever.

So here's a Thanksgiving toast to not dumping those worthless bits out of your brain and instead just being glad its there!

No comments: