Jan 30, 2011

Enjoy it!



Enjoy It!

I saw so many people today,
on a rare warm winter afternoon,
collecting vitamin D and lifelong memories.
It made my lazy Sunday bike ride a bit of a downer,
so I retreated into a hole in the wall,
pizza place who’s kitchen door opened to the street.
I ordered a huge slice of pepperoni,
grabbed a bar-stool and an IPA in a red plastic cup,
and read a digital version of the New York Times.
The pizza chef’s boom box blasted an album of Beastie Boys B-sides.
As I wallowed in my regrets,
of not having a day worth a spot in my lifetime memory banks,
a tiny 70 year old woman in a long dress coat
pulled up the stool next to me,
She ordered a slice with everything and an IPA.
These choices clashed with her Church clothes and size.
We ate next to each other in silence.
I was still stewing over my days lack of cosmic importance.
She finished first, paid her tab,
grabbed my shoulder and said,
“Enjoy it.”
Enjoy it.
Everyday.



Haiku

Decommissioned subs,
now museums for wide eyed kids
on Sunday afternoon.





Musicians peak at 20.
Poets peak years later and
storytellers never peak.

No comments: