Dec 15, 2012

People

Thoughts on the terrifying things in the world. 

This is not the most coherent thing I've written, but it is my first attempt to come to terms with what's happening here in OR and what has happened in Connecticut.

Take this for what it is, one draft, my thoughts on trying to discuss this all day yesterday and instead wanting to pretend that nothing was happening or just hide with a cup of coffee and a beer and stare at a wall.  This is not meant as a judgement on how other view or deal with tragedy, but is my personal battle and I felt the need to share something.


People

I don’t believe in Karma
I don’t believe in God,
I’ve always said,
            I hold out,
            I maintain a belief in people.
And their innate ability to create
To love, to make each other laugh,
And accomplish the impossible,
With a supernatural intervention.
All of us,
All People,
Solely responsible for our greatest feats.

If your faith is in the tangible
The your gods have  3 dimensions
Filled with shades of gray.
My faith is shaken.
            By people
And their  innate ability to destroy
To forget, to hate, to die,
And accomplish the most disgusting
            Of acts.
            Without supernatural intervention
All of  Us
All People,
Solely responsible for our greatest failures.

Still lying here, midnight,
            Faith dispatched by news 
            by images and an inability 
                        to figure out how we keep ending up here.
I look to our mortality,
            As motivation
An unknown timer,
Constantly set, wound up,
                        Often silently manipulated by others.
Counting down.
We are interwoven, connected,
            Slowly,
            At the same time, 
Killing and saving each other.
            By terrifying actions,
            And small decisions.
All the good we do.
             All of us
             All People.

Every religion has angels and devils.


 ....
Hold the people close to you,
Wave and smile at a stranger.

Bob
           

1 comment:

Lynn Wagner said...

beautiful. thanks for sharing