Sep 18, 2008

Own Up

This is going to be quick because I have to run and catch a plane to Pittsburgh. Today's topic: admitting you're wrong. It's something I don't usually have a problem doing, but in the world of sports and celebrities (and most people) there's usual no fault for them and if there is there's a big but(t) involved.

Hence I am thrilled by NFL ref Ed Hochulli being a stand up person, and publically admitting a horrible officiating error without any justification and then saying that he's responding to all of his hate mail.

This is the play in question:

Most people would've said the sun was in my eye or implied that it was somehow justified by their angle or blamed the instant replay machine but he took it all on himself. Compare that to the Chargers coach Norv Turner who basically blamed the entire game on Hochulli even though it's Turner's fault the Chargers were in the position to begin with.

If I was a Chargers fan I'd be pissed but I'd also appreciate the honesty. Also I think we can all learn something from this. If you fuck up, admit it at least this guy will respect you a little more (unless you screw over Penn State or the Steelers).

No comments: