Dec 30, 2009

After Stanley's rant I decided I needed to post something a little less crazy and I thought it might as well be another year-end list but this time focused on some local flair because Portland is awesome.

Here's a picture of why...this is from Obama's trip here in 2008...



It's also one of the first images that comes up on a web search for Portland.


So here, in no particular order are some awesome Portland bands I've started to listen to in the last year or so (or more)...

First, I have to mention two Portland bands that I listened to before moving to Portland, the Decemberists and the Thermals. Both release great new albums last year and look to become even bigger nationally in 2010. Their back catalogues are amazing as well. Here's some footage of the Thermals singing a Green Day song:



and here of the Decemberists playing REM:




Beyond those two most of these bands are pretty small, so do yourself a favor and check out:

Broadway Calls (Excellent pop-punk with great hooks)

Explode into Colors (the Willamette Weekly's best new band in Portland) do dancy weird shit and should be releasing their first full length soon.

The Taxpayers are folk punk that's available through Quoteunquoterecords.com

Others deserving note are Jared Meese and Horse Feathers. I'm sure I forgot a bunch and this is only a quick post as I rearrange my bookshelf...

No comments: