Jan 2, 2010

Red, White, and Blue Lasso's

So I think before finishing the Cable Knit Commute full zine. I am going to compile a lot of Haikus that I've written into a really tiny booklet. I think they're fun and simple. Anyone can do it, it's a great controlled therapy session. I got the idea a while ago from this book: http://www.haikuyear.com/.




Here's a poem I just wrote while sitting here listening to Neko Case with a touch of a red wine headache. Just before this I ate a cheese steak. Is that necessary knowledge, no, do I like it, yes.




Life is Like Making a Rope

Life is learning how to make a rope,
I learned that in Houston Texas, at the Rodeo,
in the Astro-Hall where livestock, fattening foods,
and crafts were for sale.
The actual show was in the dome with Bill Cosby
as a special guest.
A man in full cowboy get up was selling
handmade ropes, and you even got to help.
What second grader could resist?
I held one end and the man braided
the strands into a patriotic red white and blue
Rope that was around 6 feet long and surprisingly
non-flexible.
I’m sure my parents handed the man a twenty and shook
their heads at the poor quality of their purchase
as I immediately began pretending I was lassoing
a wild bull and pulling it down to the dirt ground.
I wasn’t allowed to have toy guns so I just used my fingers
to stop the bandits from robbing my He-Man fanny pack.
I’ve lost the rope since then, but I’m convinced it’s
A perfect metaphor for life.

1 comment:

Maroussia said...

It will be great to watch Houston Rodeo, i have bought tickets from
http://ticketfront.com/event/Houston_Rodeo-tickets looking forward to it.